Type one diabetics are more prone to hypoglycemia. Always keep sweets with you if you have warning signs, like palpation, hunger, too much sweating, not wait to check the glucometer take the sweets.
Whether it’s type I or type II diabetes exercise is an integral part of sugar control. However, some special precautions should be taken regarding exercise in type I diabetes. A balance should be given between insulin and physical activity, even there is minor physical activity.
We recommend that patients get guess what is the response of their sugar with exercise.
How is the drop in sugar
How much insulin should be given?
Avoid too much hypoglycemia.
Keep sweets with you during exercise.
There is a slight variation in response to express it in different patients.
When to consult your doctor
1) If repeated episodes of hypoglycemia.
2) If you are not able to handle the blood glucose ie too high or too low.
What to do if sever hyperglycemia.
When you evern think of exercise there is slight rise of glucose. Its due to body response and preparing the body for the exercise. Its because release of stress harmones. Usually there is slight rise in blood glucose after exercise because there is rise in stress harmoses like adrenaline, cortisole and growth harmone.
But if ther is hyperglyceimia before the start of exercise, exercise should be avoided there is danger of going in to diabetic ketoacedocis, especially if ketones are already present in the urine. If you do not have ketones in your blood or urine and you feel well, it should be fine to exercise.
Before starting exercise plan
1) Are you planning for light exercise or stenious exercise.
2) How much insuling is injected.
3) What is the base line sugar.
4) Be prepare to have hypoglycemia.
5) Check post exercise glucose and forecast , how much drop in glucose with type and length of activity.
6) If your glucose is in the lower range( like 100-110 mg/dl) take some carbohydrate snake before starting exercise.
Role of the counseller
Your health care providor give you adivce how to keep balance between insulin, food and type and exercise. Your health care provider give you advice regarding meal plan, insuling dosage and help you out hypoglycemia. Here in DIP were have professional doctors and dietion who have command in all these subjects.